Skip to main content

How can I stop my neighbor from using illegal aliens to do renovation work on his property?

Brooklyn, NY |

My neighbor and I share a party wall and I'm concerned he is not using documented workers and skillful workers to do renovation on his property, which may cause damage to my property.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I doubt you have any standing. The workers' immigration status has nothing to do with their skill.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The question is not the immigrant status of the workers, but whether the proper permits and inspections have been obtained. Contact the local housing authorities.

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: #3 See me on TV! - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) - go to the podcast section.


Contact the building department to see if permits are necessary and ask that they come out to the site.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


You can also contact ICE if you know that they are illegal immigrants. I think that their immigration status is not your concern. The workmanship, work permits, and insurance coverage are your real concerns. Follow the advice given by the prior responders.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer