How can i stop my license from being suspended from a failure to appear/ failure to pay citation for a fix it ticket?

the fine for failing to appear was $400. i paid $200. i was unable to pay the rest off now it is at $560. Next month they are placing a suspension on my license. what can i do to get more time to pay it off? after it is suspended can i apply for a restricted to and from work license?

Covina, CA -

Gilberto Benito Vega

Gilberto Benito Vega

Criminal Defense Attorney - Sacramento, CA

Unfortunately, at this point it seems like the matter was adjudicated by the court and a final judgment was entered. You do not have the option of asking the court to lower or dismiss some of the civil assessments. What you need to do is contact the DMV directly and go to the court and make arrangements to make payments on these civil judgments. Good luck.

Jason Robert Miller

Jason Robert Miller

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Valencia, CA

You need to go to the court where the ticket was issued and go to the GC services window to request that the matter be placed on calendar. The GC services may ask you to post the bail (if you hire an attorney you may be able to avoid posting bail first). Then you need to go to the traffic window and give the traffic window clerk your citation number or driver's license information and ask for an abstract, which will cost you $10. Once you obtain an abstract the DMV will be notified within 24 hours by the court and the hold on your license should be lifted. You then need to appear in court on your arraignment date to plead guilty/not guilty. I would advise hiring an attorney to do this for you - you should be able to find one to do all this for you for less than $500 and it will save you a ton of time and possibly money by getting the fines/penalties reduced. A Failure to Appear is a minor misdemeanor in most courts so get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Linda A Iannelli

Linda A Iannelli

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Newport Beach, CA

You need to contact a lawyer. The license suspension will go into effect for the failure to pay unless the entire balance is paid off. The Court's lose jurisdiction over the payments once you have missed a payment. You can try to get a walk in appointment and explain to the Court what happened and try to get the court to reinstate your payments, but if it has been more than a few days they most likely won't. If you can borrow money or pay with a credit card, that will work also. Contact a lawyer.

Related Advice