How can I stop a wage garnishment that's more than I can afford to pay?

Asked about 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

wage garnishment

1. Jeffrey P Nesson

3

Answered . Assuming no defects in the judgment, not being able to afford is not a legal reason to stop it.
    Options- try to negotiate a lower payment from creditor. good luck
    quit job
    consider filing a bankruptcy which will stop the garnishment and may get you back the money already lost. No guarantees on this without a lot more information.
    I am past chair of the consumer bankruptcy section and would be happy to speak with you.

This is not to be considered legal advise and no attorney client has been established.
  2. Bennett James Wills

Pro

2

Answered . In addition to what the other attorney said, you may even have grounds to vacate the entire judgment if it is defective. I would suggest a consultation with an attorney to evaluate the case. If there was a problem with service, you may be able to have the judgment vacated all together and stop the garnishment. Otherwise, you'll just need to contact the creditor and see what your options are. Sometimes they are willing to contact your employer and request the garnishment amount be reduced.

3. William J Mertens

Answered . Both MD and federal law also set limits on the amount of wages that can be garnished, but calculating that limit can be a little complicated and possibly depends on the nature of the garnishment. I agree that you should consult with an attorney to review your overall situation and the options available to you, including but not limited to attacking the judgment that is the basis for the garnishment and filing for bankruptcy.