How can I stop a harassing creditor from calling my work?

Asked 10 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

There is a guy that keeps calling my work and asking to speak to me about a debt. I called him back and told him not to call my work and then he became verbally hostile and very unprofessional. I asked for his address and he refused to give it to me. I asked for a direct line to him and he told me he would be the one asking questions and said if I did not settle the account he would go to the Sheriff and have them serve me with papers. The only thing I have is his name, an 800 number, and the letters of his company. Can anyone help me with this please? I am also looking to possibly retain and/or pay an attorney here to even help send a letter to this person telling them to stop calling me.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Richard Scott Lysle

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The callers is committing several violations of the Fair Debt collection Practices Act, as well as the RFDCPA. He is not going to go to the Sheriff. He would need to file a lawsuit, and pay the court's filing fee. He would also need to be represented by an attorney licensed in California. And the attorney would send you a letter before filing suit. You can ask the phone company to block calls from his phone number. A lawsuit against an out-of-state deadbeat debt collection is not likely to yield you any money.

  2. John David Laurie


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . We have delt with this before. Yes you should get an attorney to handle this. The conduct discrbed to not approriate and there are remideis for this type of situation. The issue may be if this is a off shore company or one in the US

  3. Joshua P Friedman

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . This is a violation of the FDCPA and California's Rosenthal Act. Hire a local consumers attorney to stop this ASAP! And there are lots of websites you can use to reverse look up the owner of the 800 number so you know how to contact him. Do it ASAP!

    Disclaimer of California Attorney
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

    Joshua P. Friedman

    Disclaimer of California Attorney Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be... more
  4. Dmitry David Balannik

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Simple - a cease and desist letter should do a trick. Alternatively, an attorney would be able to put a stop to this quickly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,142 answers this week

2,789 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,142 answers this week

2,789 attorneys answering