Skip to main content

How can I stop a certain person from stalking me and harassing me if we attend the same university?

Daytona Beach, FL |

Months prior I filed a petition for injunction against sexual violence (I believe I was drugged & raped) got the temporary one but when I tried to get the permanent one my case was dismissed because of lack of evidence ( he had a lawyer I didn't). Now this individual is constantly stalking me from class to class, constantly looking and watching me in my classes and harassing me. I have gone to campus security of the university and they state because he has not placed his hands on me YET nothing will be done. It is only a matter of time before violence erupts and I am trying to avoid this but it is getting hard. What can I do to prevent this guy from following and harassing me? I do not want to be a sitting duck waiting to get shot, I NEED to protect myself now, I NEED HELP PLEASE

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Go into the police in Daytona, ask to speak to officers who handle stalking cases, lay out everything for them, and see if you have enough for them to pursue stalking charges. Campuses are notoriously bad about protecting students until something bad happens, and then they back pedal, unless they can find a way to distance themselves. I would not rely on campus security. You could also visit a family law attorney in Daytona who handles this type of case.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.


I second Heather's advice. This is a very serious situation. Please (1) go back to the police and (2) alert the campus authorities. Do not stop until you find someone who will listen and intervene to ensure your safety.

My response to this question is a response to a hypothetical situation based on limited facts. I am not your attorney; you are not my client and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. If you need a lawyer, you should contact one in your area. If you would like to talk with me about your case, you can call my office.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


Good idea. Perhaps contact the head of the university and the university's legal counsel and let them know that campus security is not taking your concerns seriously, in addition to the other things we have outlined.


I concur with the other attorneys. Get to the cops and they will help. You should also hire an attorney to file an injunction for you.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239


I agree with attorneys Morcroft, Pollard, and De Groot. The bar association for Volusia County, website, may be able to help you locate an attorney. Also, .tThe website contains, in the Resource and Links section, a link to the legal aid programs for the area.

Legal disclaimer: My response to your question is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship. My response to your question is based on the limited facts given in your question and should not be relied on as legal advice. I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney before taking any action based on your question or my response to your question.


Additionally, I would contact local Rape Crisis Center and see if they can make some calls for you and send the President of the University a certified letter with return receipt and advise them that if something happens to you, that you will be taking legal action against the university for their failure to take reasonable steps to protect a student.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer