Skip to main content

How can I start to write an I601 waiver letter showing extreme hardship? Honestly speaking, does my husband have a good chance?

Dallas, TX |

I am a 42 yr.old woman who has been raising 3kids on a minimum wage salary since my husband was deported 6years ago. I swell a lot in the face arms and legs. I went to see a doctor thinking it could be my kidneys trips like these usually need my entire paycheck so when he told me I needed to see a cardiologist I obviously couldn't. I do have chest pains sometimes but I can't afford to see a dr. I'm afraid that since I'm the only thing my kids have that if something were to happen to me they would be taken by the state or sent to a dangerousMexico where they have no home or future. My husband has 2DUIs,1hit and run,&6PIs but went to AA in Mexico and has been clean for 7 years now. He has always beena good fatherbut everyone makes mistakes I don't
want my kids to grow up w/o a dad. Any help?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Without knowing more about the facts surrounding your husband's deportation and rehabilitation, it is hard to make any sort of assessment. To succeed, you will need the help of a competent attorney. I would not try to do this on your own; the stakes are too high. Most lawyers offer payment plans. He or she will explain the I-601 waiver process and the necessary showing of extreme hardship.

    You are right to focus on your health, that will be a major factor in your extreme hardship showing. Also, your current economic condition and your husband's ability to support you and your children is another key factor.

    Since your ability to travel is limited, I would find an attorney in the Dallas area. I have included some links to help you find an attorney.

    I hope this helps and may God bless you.

    This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Questions and answers posted to this forum are public and cannot be kept confidential. Although admitted in DC, I currently reside in Texas and I am authorized to practice U.S. immigration law worldwide..

  2. You should hire a lawyer to help prepare your hardship letter. Typically when a person is deported they must remain outside the country for a period of ten years. You do have a number of things that prove hardship. An experienced immigration attorney can advise you and help in the process.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Step 1: hire an experienced immigration attorney to handle the case.
    Step 2: See step 1

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics