HOW CAN I SPPED UP MY DIVORCE?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Sacramento, CA

HOW CAN I SPPED UP MY DIVORCE? MARRIED IN 1995 SEPARATED IN 2007. i FILED FOR DIVORCE IN 2007 HAD A LAWYER BUT FIRED LAWYER SINCE I CANT AFFORD HIM. I FILLED OUT ALL PAPERS BUT HE NEVER DID NOW COURT WANTS ME TO RE FILL OUT PAPERS IS THERE A QUICKER SHORTER WAY?? NO ASSETS ONLY PAST DUE DEBT WHICH I PLAN ON FILING BK AS WELL NEXT.

I LIVE IN CA HE JUST MOVED TO NEVADA 2 MONTHS AGO. WE GOT MARRIED IN lAS vEGAS IN 1995

1. Michael John Apicella

1

1

Answered . You stated in your question that the court wants you to "re fill out papers." I'm assuming you mean that the court wants you to refile the Petition for Marriage Dissolution (divorce petition) and related papers. It sounds like the court may have dismissed your case because at some point in the past, you did not follow through with the process, for instance, you didn't attend a case management (or status) conference. Hard to say for sure without more info.

In any event, if your case was dismissed, then yes, you will need to re-file a divorce petition with your local county court (where you've lived for at least the last 3 months), and then follow through with the divorce process until you obtain a judgment of dissolution. There is no shortcut. But, it doesn't have to take an extraordinary long time if you follow through with all the steps correctly.

As for the steps to finalize your case, those steps can be different depending on the particular facts in your case. For instance: whether you can locate and serve your spouse with the initial divorce papers?... whether he responds to your Petition? ... and any particulars with resolving the debt issues you mentioned, among any other issues you did not mention.

Before you can obtain a judgment of dissolution, you also need to fill out your preliminary disclosures and have them served on your husband (see CA Family Code section 2104).

If your income is such that you can't afford a lawyer, then you can seek free assistance from your local family court's "self help" center, and perhaps any legal aid organizations in your county. Such information is likely listed on the court's website. Do a Google search for your local county family court. Once you find the court's website, click on the family law division tab and I'm sure you'll find info regarding the self help center (often called the "Family Law Facilitator's Office") as well as other info to help you get your case resolved.

2. Scott Richard Kaufman

Pro

1

Answered . With no assets, it should be easy and she should agree. Perhaps NV is the secret. They have quickie marriages. Perhaps they have quickie divorces?

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . The easiest way is for you and your ex to just agree and work out as much of the terms as possible, file jointly. In California, however, there are steps you have to go through and it does take a few months.