How can I sponsor my sister?I am usa citizen

Asked over 4 years ago - Bayside, NY

my sister entered in usa with a regular visa in 2005. she stayed in here and is married with a canadian citizen. they got 2 children. can I sponsor them here???
your answert is highly apreciated..

my e-mail

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Naima M Said

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . File a relative petition with USCIS but since she overstayed, she cannot adjust status in the United States.

  2. David Inpyo Lee

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . if your sister has maintained legal status, you can petition for her (I-130 then she can file I-485 when the priority date is current, years later). If she is not legal, you can petition for her (I-130) but when the I-485 is filed, she will be removed (deported) unless the law changes. Otherwise, if her children are U.S. citizens, they can sponsor her when one of the children is 21; or the spouse can sponsor when he becomes a U.S. citizen.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,083 answers this week

3,321 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,083 answers this week

3,321 attorneys answering