Skip to main content

How can I speed up the divorce?

Norwalk, CA |

My court date is not until September I filed last April. Is there a way to speed things up?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Usuaully, the best way to speed up a divorce is to settle all issues ahead of time as amicably as possible and then simply sumit it as an uncontested divorce. However, if you've already settled, then the only thing left to do is make a personal application to the administrative judge of the county in which your case is pending and ask for special treatment. Depending upon what the reason is behind your request, it may be granted.

Good luck.


It depends what you want speeded up. You can get a divorce as to status now, even if there will be a trial on other issues. If there are disputes over division of property, support, custody and visitation, those may need to be tried. The courts in Norwalk have a busy calendar. The only way to move up on the calendar is to remove most of the contested issues and then request the court to advance the trial date.

The other thing you can do is arbitrate the disputed issues, taking it out of the court system. The arbitration can happen next month. However, your spouse has to agree.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer