Skip to main content

How can I speed up my divorce? Is there a faster way to get my paperwork signed by the judge?

Stamford, CT |
Filed under: Divorce

I have been waiting 4 years for my divorce to be finalized. I am on my second lawyer who states the first didn't do a good job with the paperwork. the problem is the second lawyer didn't submit all the proper documents either. it has taken 3 to six months each time I discovered something was wrong with the paperwork. Also, I filed in Bronx, ny. I was told they tend to take a while. Should I withdraw my petition and file again some place else?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. In Bronx County, the procedure for filing an uncontested divorce takes a very long time, even if the paperwork is perfect. Usually, they find some technicality and the six month cycle starts all over again. If you meet the residency requirements in Connecticut, you can file in Connecticut, but your spouse would have to agree to discontinue the New York case. Once you file an uncontested in Connecticut it will take about 3-4 months. It can be done for minimum charge.

  2. I cannot speak about a NY divorce, but it makes no sense to me how any divorce in CT could be allowed to continue for 4 years. Was there a previous divorce filing that was dismissed and then refiled? You need to speak with your atty and get a timetable for the matter. Also you can look up your case status at and look your case up by your name. I would be concerned that withdrawing the case would just make things take longer

    This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client relationship with anyone including the individual who posted the question. Attorney Norris is licensed only in Connecticut and does not provide legal advice outside of the State of Connecticut. Answers given are solely not to be considered legal advice. For legal advice contact an attorney licensed in your state.

  3. I am not familiar with the procedures in New York, however the delay as you describe it seems quite extraordinary. The process in Connecticut can conclude farily quickly, possibly within 3 to 4 months after the return date of the case so long as the parties have an agreement or in the event the spouse being served with divorce papers chooses to not participate in the case. If you reside in Connecticut and meet the residency requirements as recited in Connectiuct General Statute 46b-44 then you can file the divorce in Connecticut. Before doing so however you must first first withdraw the New York case. If you click on the link below you will see some relevant statutes related to Connecticut divorce. I hope this is helpful to you.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics