How can I settle my employment/wage and hour/wrongful termination case when PAGA is alleged and LWDA opted not to act?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Hi, I would appreciate your help in this particular situation. I want to setthe my court pending case and the defendant is willing to negotiate a settlement. There are 9 causes of action and one of them is PAGA. I am a pro per plaintiff , with a very strong (direct evidence based) case. I settled my 2 EEOC claims with the same defendant. This settlement is currently processed and the amount $$$ is mutually agreed upon.
My goal is to settle the court pending case but I wonder if the state will be entitled for its 75% of the settled amount due to my PAGA allegations?
What is the best settlement strategy under the circumstances? (this is not a class action)
Thank you!

1. David Andrew Mallen

4

1

Answered . You are asking a strategic question as well as a legal question. You will need court approval of your settlement since you filed a PAGA claim.

You can pay a lawyer by the hour to do this for you, on a limited engagement.

David Mallen

2. Neil Pedersen

4

1

Answered . These are very complicated strategic questions you are asking but none of us can really help with the strategy without knowing far more than you can disclose on this public internet site. PAGA, of course, is a form of representative action, and if you are going to settle your PAGA claim, you are settling for the others as well. Therefore, court approval will have to be involved. Your better approach might be to simply dismiss the PAGA claim without prejudice and settle the other causes of action between you and the entity.

It would be very prudent of you to pay an employment law attorney some time to assist you through this process. You may be walking away from a great deal of money by dismissing or settling the PAGA claim in this manner. Get some knowledgeable advice.

Good luck to you.

3. Neville Francis Fernandes

4

Answered . You brought a PAGA claim as a pro per plaintiff? You should speak to an employment attorney.

Also, it is not clear from your question whether your EEOC claims have already been paid out by the defendant and those claims withdrawn. If they have't been withdrawn you may want to do a global settlement including both the EEOC claims and the PAGA claims. I think you could structure it in a way that lowers the compensation directed towards the PAGA claims.

But you need to see an employment lawyer. There is some complexity to settling PAGA claims properly.

Neville Fernandes
    510.900.9044
    www.nccounsel.com