How can I seek damages from an attorney who was extremely negligent? Can I use a recorded phone conversation as evidence?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portage, MI

I found that in the heat of the divorce I may not have been at my best, emotionally, spiritually and mentally. Meaning I did not see what is now so very obvious....My representation was less than adequate. I lost my vehicle due to my ex not following a court order to maintain car payments and my attorney simply did nothing to enforce this. Also, I have an email stating that the stock settlement (a portion was defined as "in lieu of spousal support") was mine to use to rebuild my life, get an education, relocate etc. Upon filing my taxes I find out I owe $59000 to the IRS. Prior to this discovery, I had expressed my concern with regards to other issues throughout the process and he decreased his bill from $15,000 to $7000. This was a basic, no assets (but stock) divorce~

1. James M. Osak

Answered . If you have concerns about your legal representation:
    (1) Send your attorney a certified letter with your concerns;
    (2) Talk it over with the attorney;
    (3) If NO agreement then file a complaint with the MI State Bar;
    AND (4) YES, you can use any taped conversations you have as long
    as you were part of the original conversation.
    (5) Good luck!