Skip to main content

How can I save my daughter from abuse and neglect?

Suwanee, GA |

My daughter has been physically abused for 3 yrs. She has been afraid to go home & has been hit in the face by the mother. I have complained to the court & they assigned a guardian ad litem. The guardian ad litem immediately chastised me for filing against the mother & did not believe any of my accusations regardless of having photo's. Months into her investigation my daughter was rushed to the emergency room for more bruising inflicted by the mother. I notified the guardian & she ignored my complaints. The hospital notified DFCS. DFCS threatened me & demanded that if I continued complaining about the bruising on my child, they would take her away from me.

I strongly believe I am up against a system that is operating for the wrong reasons, and not protecting children. What should I do?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need your own attorney in this matter to cut through their nonsense and put some pressure on. Not clear what age your daughter is, but medical evidence can be established, counseling can be sought, and you can go on the offensive.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

  2. You do not state whether there is a court case going, whether you and the mother were ever married (or if the child was ever legitimated through legal process), nor how old the child is.

    I have to presume there is some sort of case going on, because of the Guardian ad Litem. Presuming you are the "legal" father you may want to look for a change of custody in the Superior Court... If you are not, you may look to a deprivation proceeding in Juvenile Court (which can change custody temporarily).

    In either case, you need experienced legal counsel. I cannot recommend strongly enough that you hire an attorney to assist you with this.

    I wish you the best of luck. If you ahve any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at

    Doug Hassinger

  3. What should you do? Hire an attorney. Immediately.

    The information is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You do not indicate in your question that you have an attorney. I would recommend that you retain an aggressive, qualified and competent attorney to protect your rights and the rights and safety of your daughter. Additionally, I would make sure that I have all of the photographs, medical reports and any statements your daughter has made to law enforcement, hospital personnel or DFCS. I advise you to be aggressive in the defense of your daughter and put pressure on the system to act in her best interest. I hope this information has been helpful to you. Good Luck!

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.