How can I resolve a warrant if I'm in jail?

Asked 10 months ago - Superior, WI

It been 60 days and the state where the warrant was issue from hasnt pick me up yet. Its has been 30 days since senting the Rip requesting replied. What if the state where the warrant was issued doesnt pick me up can I still go to drug treatment? I only served time in the county jail so how can Wisconsin DOC issue a warrant?

1. John Scott Swimmer

2

Answered . The State where the warrant was issued will not extradite you for a misdemeanor. But you will continue to have problems because of the active warrant until you and get it cleared. Nothing should bar you from going to treatment, but contact an attorney in the State issuing the warrant and determine how to clear it.

2. Karyn T. Missimer

1

Answered . I agree with the first answer. Until you clear up the warrant, this will happen over and over again. The other state will not extradite, but the warrant will remain. And the next time you are stopped for any reason (i.e., speeding or jaywalking), you may be taken into custody and forced to sit again, while the other state again does not extradite you.

Contact (and hire) a local, experienced criminal defense attorney in the state in which the warrant was issued ASAP. If you cannot afford a private attorney, contact the public defender's office in the issuing state.

Also, contact the public defender's office in WI to see about speeding this process along. If you are being held in a WI jail, you should have a direct line to the public defender's office.

Good luck!