How can I remove two misdemeanor petty larceny charges from my record in virginia. It's been two years since I was convicted.

Roanoke, VA |

One charge was originally a felony embezzlement charge, but it was lowered. The other was a petty larceny charge from a store.

1. No expungement in VA, unless you were completely innocent.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. The process of removing a charge from your record is called expungement. This process is only available to those cases where you were found not guilty or acquitted or the charge was dismissed or nolle prossed. When a charge is reduced to a misdemeanor from a felony, that is a reduction but it means that you were still found guilty of a lesser offense and therefore not eligible to have the conviction removed from your record.