How can I remove the Guardian At Li ten and get a new one

Asked over 1 year ago - New London, CT

I have had sole custody of my two children for four and a quarter years. Their mother did one year in jail for four DWI..s and three under suspension. She also used the alternative incarceration programs two times, once for Heroin,once for 16 Oxycontin, slapping a Police officer, and two other charges. She has been on supervised visits for years,and now is trying for unsupervised and custody with her parents,,who have criminal records,and are in Opiate rehab at fifty two years old. they now have a lawyer after never paying one cent in support. I believe the Guardian At Li ten has connections with their lawyer, This happened in 2011 and mother was given unsupervised visits,crashed for fourth DWI,third under suspension.Mother involved in prostitution not caught,except for taped phone call

1. Joseph S Hubicki

Pro

Answered . What you have described provides a basis for reinstatement of supervised visitation. As you may not know, it is the judge - not the guardian ad litem - that makes the decision on custody and visitation. The GAL's job is to investigate and report to the judge. The GAL can make a recommendation, but only the court can enter an order. The court can - and often does - reject the GAL's recommendation. That being said, the case law in Connecticut makes extremely difficult to remove a GAL. (I can tell you that it is very common in custody disputes that one or the other parent wants the GAL removed.) So, what you should focus on is bringing a motion to modify the unsupervised visits, and get a good lawyer to help you do it.