How can I remove an adult child from my home?

Asked about 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

No contributions to the household (rent, cleaning, utilities) and is verbally abusive. There is a grandchild involved. I've asked my child to leave often, then comes the apologies and promises to calm down, and life is calm for short periods of time. This has been going on for 5 years and is affecting my health. The home environment becomes toxic, and my grandchild is the mediator. This is not healthy for any of us. What can I do legally?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Aaron James Irving


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Not paying rent or contributing to bills for the residence means the person is not a tenant. I would file an unlawful detainer action in county court. It's essentially the same thing as an eviction, however, an eviction is for a tenant and not a "guest" that refuses to leave.

    Note: The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation... more
  2. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your child is not paying rent, the child is not a tenant and cannot be evicted. However, you can bring an action for either unlawful detainer (for which there is an expedited process) or ejectment (for which there is not an expedited process) to have your child removed. You should contact an experienced real estate lawyer in your area to represent you in this process.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
  3. Alejandro Rafael Lopez

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If your child is residing with you, and his/her I.D. documents, driver's license, etc., reflect your address, it may be wise to file eviction proceedings against him/her to make sure all is done properly.

    Alejandro R. Lopez, Esq.
    Law Office of Alejandro R. Lopez, P.A.
    4465 Edgewater Dr.,
    Suite A
    Orlando, Fla. 32804
    (407) 649-1404

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,398 answers this week

2,738 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,398 answers this week

2,738 attorneys answering