How can I reduce a red light traffic ticket?

Oakland, CA |

I got a red light traffic ticket from San Mateo for 490 dollars, And it my first ticket ever which i think is a little harsh. I was driving up to the light then it flashed yellow to red, also my friend was in the car that can testify to that. If I was to stop the car in back of me would have hit me, so that why i kept going. and thats when the officer flashed his lights, he was super nice but the ticket price is just too much, Also not to mention i was lost and the officer even asked if i needed help finding the place I was trying to go. So I was wondering If there was a way i can reduce the charges without doing a payment plan??

So pretty much I was wondering If I had a chance to get the ticket some what reduced due to the fact it was my first ticket??

1. California needs an amendment to the California criminal codes to give half-off for a first offense in each category. Someone has got to get moving on this by working with their assembly member to introduce the bill and get Gov. Brown to Sign it. As you are from Oakland and since Gov. Brown has a special connection in Oakland as the 47th Mayor, you may be in the best position to get a first offense bill drafted, pushed through and signed.

Meanwhile, hire an attorney to fight the ticket.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

2. Retain a local traffic ticket attorney - usually not too expensive. Another thought might be traffic school - not cheep, but saves on DMV points & higher insurance rates etc. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

3. Contact a competent traffic defense lawyer.

Feel free to contact us for a consultation. Iannelli & Associates, 949 729-3171 This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship is created. Every case has many facts which are different and distinctly theirs, make sure that you understand this is general information and it would be advisable to constact a competent lawyer for personal legal advice.