Skip to main content

How can I recieve my money owed to me from back taxes?

San Diego, CA |

The IRS Has been taking my taxes for owed back taxes from 2003. There was a mistake on my tax form that stated I made over 75,000.00 dollars that year! They have been billing me and intercepting my taxes. I have been around and around trying to get this resolved and my back pay owed to me. CAN YOU HELP!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should file an IRS Form 843 Claim for Refund. If they deny your claim, you would have the option of suing the IRS in Federal District Court. I strongly suggest you consult with a tax attorney to assist you with this. Good luck!

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


Do not use Form 843 to request a refund of income tax.

Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to change any amounts reported on Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040EZ-T, 1040NR, or 1040NR-EZ, to change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS, or to make certain elections after the prescribed deadline (see Regulations sections 301.9100-1 through -3).

Please click “thumbs up” if you’ve found this helpful and/or informative.


The information in this answer is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this communication should be taken as legal advice for any case or situation. Nothing herein is intended as legal advice. You should not rely upon any information as a source of legal advice, and your receipt or viewing of any such information does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and James E. Pratt.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U. S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter herein.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer