How can i recieve all my money at once from a settlement instead of it being dished out to me monthly?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Beaumont, TX

we recieved a great amount of money from a lawsuit that involved my sisters death and i am trying to find out how my mom can recieve all her money or more of it a month because she does not work and she is disabled

1. Gary Alan Armstrong

Pro

5

Answered . You may want to talk to your Mom's attorney about how the settlement is structured. If the negotiations are not finalized, it may be possible to restructure the payments. Another choice is to see about a loan from a bank secured by the payment stream. This could be good if she really does not need all of the money at once. The least good choice is to sell the settlement to a third party that pays now for the future stream of payments. The problem is that they pay very little compared to the ultimate value of the stream of payments. There is a great advantage to getting the payments over time, especially with a person who does not work and is disabled, because it gives a fairly steady income over a long period. A lot of time when a person gets a large lump sum, it just gets spent, sometimes foolishly.

2. Gregory Howard Wiley

2

1

Answered . It depends in the structure of the settlement. There are companies that will pay you a lump sum for an annuity but it is rarely in your favor.

3. Tom Max Thomas II

Pro

1

Answered . I would be very, very careful about how I addressed this situation if I was you and/or your mom. I think it would be a good idea to seek both a financial planner and a lawyer's advice prior to making any decisions in this situation.