Skip to main content

How can i Put my name on my sons birth certificate

Palm Springs, CA |

the mother of my child and i were together for 3 months and broke up . then 2 months later she told me she was pregnant and i dint want to be around for the bbaby because i dint know if the baby was mine.. 2 years past and i finnally dicided to man up and be there for the child. i went to the indio court and filed papers for a DNA test almost 3 months past and i got the results and she was mine the next day after i got the results i went back to court and filed for joint custody and had someone serve her she wasnt really happy ... we went to mediation then 2 weeks later to court nd i got joint physical and legal custody but the judge never told me anything about the Birth certificate .. What papers do i get to add my name and give my child my last name on the birth certificate¿¿

Attorney Answers 1


Naming & renaming a child is an incident of "legal custody" (sorry, I didn't create these eejit terms). Once adjudicated the father of this child you'd have equal (re)naming rights which means that you two should reach agreement, or you'd need to file a Request for Order with the Family Court to obtain an order, to get this child renamed. The renaming would be accomplished administratively through the Cal. Dept. of Public Health.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics