How can I prove that the King James Version of the Bible is public domain?

Asked about 1 year ago - Westlake, OH

My publisher is insisting that I secure an "Authorization to Publish", when it is not necessary for a book in the public domain and published 400 years ago. Nevertheless, how can I satisfy this requirement?

1. Mario Sergio Golab

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Simple. Contact a Copyright attorney and ask for a letter certifying that the book is in the public domain.

2. Jeffrey S. Marlink

6

Answered . Attorney Golab is 100% on point. The other thing to note in the case of copying a Bible is making sure that you are only copying the original text. Comments and other additions that are often included in different printings of Bibles could still be protected under copyright and not within the public domain.

3. Frank Anthony Natoli

6

Answered . I think Mr. Marlink hit on the issue here. Its not the substantive content of the Bible at issue, this of course is no longer protected under copyright. But authorized translations as well as other additions of creative expression in any given version can certainly be protected.

You should consult an IP lawyer in private and discuss in more detail. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)