How can I prove statutory rape?

Marion, WI |

My daughter just turned 16 and she is having sex with a 20 year old male. I want to report him for statutory rape, but I read it is hard to prove that. She says she's in love and doesn't want him to get into any trouble, but this needs to stop and I don't approve of this at all. Please help.

1. Go to the police and report what you know. The police will probably investigate and if he doesn't admit or confess, at least he'll be quite frightened about his sex with a minor, might make him think twice about this relationship even if he doesn't get prosecuted.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. Proving statutory rape is usually accomplished by having the "victim" state she had had sex with someone. Another way to prove it is to have the perpetrator admit to the sex. Another way to prove it is to have a 3rd person who saw the two having sex, or who overheard one of the participants talking about having sex with the other, talk to the authorities. Without either participant or a 3rd person who saw it or overheard an admission coming forward, it is hard to prove.

3. You can call the police. They will have someone meet with your daughter or even the male. Be sure you are prepared for the consequences of your actions. This can become quite ugly for your family.