How can I prove my sons father unfit?

Asked over 3 years ago - Barstow, CA

My son is five months old, I still breastfeed my son, his father has seen him no more than eight times since birth! Has not bought or helped with anything! I recently filed for child support and he was suppose to pay last month but still hasn't! He told me the only way he would see his son is if I would bring him to his house! Than told me to drop him off for an hour our so.He lives with a couple younger than me who has two small children they drink and smoke inside the home with the children. Now he wants to take me to court for joint custody! Yes he does work five days a week 12 hours. But has no problem partying the days he works and the two days he has off. He drives under the influnce of drugs and alchol and I'm very scared he is going to put my son in danger. What do I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . There is no way you can "prove" unfitness because it is very subjective. I have represented sex offenders with joint custody. All you can do is present your case and hope the court agrees.

    This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,200 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,200 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering