How can I prove my ex-wife is lying in family court and gain more custody?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cerritos, CA

My ex-wife and I went to court in February for our 8-year old daughter, where the judge ordered 3 phone calls a week, and 2-hour visits every Sunday (I was in the military so away for 4 years). My ex has controlled each step, sitting right next to my daughter and telling her it's okay if she doesn't want to talk to me. She also informs her of court proceedings. She is also present at the visits. We went back to court for review today, and she lied about everything. She told the judge that my daughter asks to leave our visits, that I am stalking her, and that I was late for each visit and phone call. None of these facts are true. The judge listened to her, and agreed to keep our same visitation schedule. I don't have money for a lawyer. I just want to see my daughter more, and unsupervised.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Erin Patricia Farley

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A lot of family issues can be dealt with informally, and a lot do not require legal help. This one will. If one spouse is not truthful, then there is often an underlying disorder or issue that must be brought to the surface.

    I am unclear why your visits are supervised - your job in the military alone, even being away for four years, is not a cause for supervision. Whatever the reason underlying the supervision order, deal with it. Get counseling, anger management, or whatever the particular concern calls for in the way of help for you. Completion of programs, completion of counseling, that is hard evidence that a judge will consider and give more weight than the he-said, she-said stories the judge is hearing now.

  2. Dena Robin Taub

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Honesty you should do whatever you can to hire an attorney who can advocate for you and get you the visitation you are entitled to. You need someone to properly counter her improper conduct and deliberate attempts to alienate you from your daughter. Please feel free to call me at 818-646-5300 or visit my website at for a free consultation.

    No response should be construed as formal legal advice. The acknowledgement of this information or submission of a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,356 answers this week

3,360 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,356 answers this week

3,360 attorneys answering