How can I prove I was the only person not receiving health benefits?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I belive I am the only employee at work that is not getting health benefits. I believe it is because of my disability. If I file a lawsuit can i subpoena the health insurance company to get names and dates of coverage for other employees. Thanks.

1. Best Answer

Answered . You need to find out the name and address of the administrator of the health plan and send a letter requesting a copy of the summary benefit plan. They have 30 days to send you the plan, which will let you know whether you qualify for health insurance under the plan. If they don't send the plan, penalties accrue at $100 per day.

David Mallen
    310.895.0107

2. Answered . It is generally not required for an employer to provide health insurance except in a few jurisdictions like San Francisco. In your case though your employer may have violated disability discrimination laws by excluding you from insurance. We would need more facts to determine this. You should speak with an employment attorney.

Neville Fernandes
    510.900.9044
    www.nccounsel.com