Skip to main content

How can I prove I have a US Domicile?

Streamwood, IL |

I am the petitioner. They ask me to prove my US Domicile since on the I-130 I said I lived outside the US. On the form I put a different address from the one I had. And now I changed my address and I want to know if the change of address confirmation will help, or maybe a letter from my old school, or registering to vote since I also changed the address of my license. All this I did it online because I am out of the US. What else can I do if I' m not in the us to get a bank account or things like that! Thank you for your time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Do you have a residence in the U.S.? If so, submit rent receipts, utility bills, paycheck stubs, etc.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


A home, family or job in the U.S. will all help.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.


If you don't live in the US .. you don't have a US domicile.

Driver license, employment records, tax returns, monthly bills, monthly bank statements ... these are the things that people who are domiciled in the US have ready access to.

You should consult with an attorney.

You may need to 'return' to your US domicile before your spouse will get his/her visa.

Yes, this may require leaving your spouse for a while ... to give you time to re-establish your domicils

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer