How can I prove emotional abuse?

Asked over 3 years ago - Marion, NC

It is clear that my son is being emotionally abused by his father. He calls our son names, screams and threatens him, makes him cry a lot, etc. He done the same things(including physical abuse), to my other children, which is the reason I left. I have contacted child services and the abuse continues. My son tells me about it, during every visit. He says he has started wetting in the bed and getting in trouble for it. I can't bare him going through the things he is required to. What do I do?

1. Mark S Williams

Pro

1

3

Answered . It is very difficult to prove emotional abuse. My experience is that DSS generally does little about such allegations.

The best approach is to get the child to a mental health counselor. Since counselors usually rely on what children tell them, the child's statements while normally hearsay would be admissible in court as testimony of the mental health counselor.

2. Adam Wilson Arthur

1

1

Answered . Get the child a mental health counselor. Consult with a local family law attorney who likely will be able to point you in the direction of a reputable counselor for your child.