Skip to main content

How can I prove emotional abuse?

Marion, NC |

It is clear that my son is being emotionally abused by his father. He calls our son names, screams and threatens him, makes him cry a lot, etc. He done the same things(including physical abuse), to my other children, which is the reason I left. I have contacted child services and the abuse continues. My son tells me about it, during every visit. He says he has started wetting in the bed and getting in trouble for it. I can't bare him going through the things he is required to. What do I do?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. It is very difficult to prove emotional abuse. My experience is that DSS generally does little about such allegations.

    The best approach is to get the child to a mental health counselor. Since counselors usually rely on what children tell them, the child's statements while normally hearsay would be admissible in court as testimony of the mental health counselor.

    Was this helpful? Please let me know by clicking the "thumbs-up" image at the bottom of this post. Thanks! Disclaimer: Information posted for educational / informational purposes only. No attorney client relationship created through the use of this web site. Information pertains to the State of North Carolina only. See our website, for more information. Rice Law, PLLC 401 Chestnut Street, Suite G Wilmington, NC 28401 (910) 762-3854

  2. Get the child a mental health counselor. Consult with a local family law attorney who likely will be able to point you in the direction of a reputable counselor for your child.