How can I prove an amendment to a trust was not the wishes of the deceased, and was changed by the person who benefited from it?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portola Valley, CA

After suffering from Parkinson's and COPD, my grandfather got pneumonia (2 weeks before he died), and passed away at home with hospice care. I was his caregiver, and lived with him for the past 2 1/2 years, and my mother did it for 2 years prior. He was distressed by extreme difficulty breathing from the pneumonia. His doctor told us to keep him sedated with oxycontin and lorazepam until he recovered from it. He slept all day, and was very weak, mentally and physically. He had a trust, declaring that my mother and uncle were to split everything 50/50. He wanted to amend his trust to add specific (i.e. truck, insurance policy) overlooked items . My aunt prepared it for him, and he signed it without reading it; there were no witnesses. It was changed to benefited her (uncle unaware).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Well, from your description it certainly sounds like something improper could have gone on here. You need to retain an estate litigation attorney immediately. The only grounds to have this amendment excluded would be undue influence/coercion or lack of capacity. Proving any of these is difficult and rarely happens. You will most likely need medical records and expert testimony. This will probably be a long protracted battle so be prepared for that.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  2. John S. Rueppel

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . If it can be proven that the trust amendment was executed while your grandfather lacked capacity, then the amendment could be invalidated. Essentially, then, the terms of the trust would return to where they were before the amendment was signed.

    As well, your aunt may be liable for financial elder abuse, which includes many kinds of financial wrongdoing.

    I recommend speaking with an experienced trust and probate attorney regarding the possibility of contesting the trust amendment and other courses of action.

  3. Richard Scott Stewart

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Someone will need to contest the validity of the amendment. Undue influence or incapacity are likely to be the basis for such a challenge. You will need a good estate litigation attorney and should begin seeking representation. Beware, there may be a no contest clause and if so that could result in disinheritance if you were to lose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,618 answers this week

3,274 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,618 answers this week

3,274 attorneys answering