How can I protect myself legally from false allegations of stalking and false peace order? and physical and career threats

Easton, MD |

This girl I met back in October that I liked and she liked me also has threatened to file papers against me and throw me in jail. Things did not work out between me and her and we never even went on 1 date, I was persistently trying to talk to her about things rationally but she wouldn't be reasonable with me. She has threatened me multiple times, wants to destroy my career in public safety and throw me in jail or a mental hospital. I have done nothing to outright and overtly threaten her. She has had boyfriends of hers call me to threaten me with bodily harm and injury and she has found a previous address I used to live at. She is claiming to people that I am stalking her and that I am a creep and defaming my character when really I was just trying to calm things down and just talk

1. I would avoid all contact with her from this point forward and hopefully it will go away.

2. Sometimes "crazy" doesn't have an off switch. Just stop trying to contact her, in any way. Period. If you only met in October, it sounds like your social circles are not connected, so just steer clear and move on with your life.

3. If she does not want to talk to you, and you keep "trying" to talk with her, whether in person or by electronic means then you are stalking and harassing her, even if you don't think so. You admittedly haven't dated in the past, and clearly have had no past relationship - so end your efforts, no matter how noble you think your reasons are, and you will not have to worry about any consequences of your acts.

4. Best bet is to not talk to her so you don't have to deal with her getting a restraining order against you.

5. If you are employed in the field of public safety, you have a lot at risk here. There is exactly one sound option available to you: DISENGAGE. Stalking and harassment are measured by the perception of the target, not the actor. So, here is how you keep your job and your regular life: don't call, write, text, or follow her on social media. Don't ask friends or mutual acquaintances about her. Don't "happen to be" in public places where she is. Don't attend the same social functions; don't send gifts or cards of any sort for any reason. D I S E N G A G E COMPLETELY.

If you think of something that you could do that might come to her attention, and you can come up with a sound rationale for that action, DON'T do it. This is exactly when and how your brain will walk you into handcuffs.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.