How can I protect myself and my assets if my alcoholic spouse were to be involved in vehicular homicide or other situation?

Asked about 1 year ago - Puyallup, WA

Husband drinks daily. Thinks he's invincible and nothing will happen to him. He drives. He has a CDL. He won't go to treatment With Washington State being a community property state, is there any way I can protect myself and my current and/or future assets in case he were to drive drunk and possible kill someone? Just looking out for myself.

1. Matthew Erik Johnson

8

1

Answered . A post-nuptial agreement, along with a revocable trust to place any assets agreed as your separate property would be a good start. Re-titeling certain assets may also be available depending on what loans are still on your car and/or home.

Regardless, there is still a limited ability for creditors, even in a DUI, to gain access to your share of the community property. In order to do so, your husband must have been acting for the benefit of the community when he was driving. So it will depend partially on the purpose for which he is in the car.

Pro

5

Answered . Report him if he is drinking and driving, and get this danger off the streets.

3. David B Pittman

4

1

Answered . I agree with mr. Johnson. I would add that you should get an umbrella policy with your insurance to cover any severe damages he might cause. Speak to your
    Insurance agent about how to get one.

4. Brian F. Davis

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, there are some steps that you can take to protect yourself. First, you should make sure that you have an experienced attorney helping you come up with a plan of action and then implement it. Things that you could consider include making sure that you have sufficient insurance coverage for yourself, not to mention your spouse, making sure that you are not the owner of any vehicles that your spouse drives - as this could create liability for you, and making sure that your spouse is not the title owner of any of your real property. You should be able to find an attorney in your area by doing a web search for "attorney asset protection". Good luck.