How can I protect my children during visitation with their father and his questionable ex

Oliver Springs, TN |

my ex who has a history of alcohol abuse and also has a questionable mate with drug abuse and history of violence we live in we have never have been married and I have had the children sole in my care for 2 years. One or both may have an illness caused by drug use. Could I just leave the state if I felt I had to do that to protect them? Also their father took off to another state during this time and has had very little to do with them even when he was local

Is there court ordered parenting tome for him? If so, was it by consent or after a trial? I need more information to be of help.

No there is nothing set in place as of right now. He has been ordered to pay child support but no visitation has been put in place yet but he keeps telling me he is going to take me to court and "get his rights"

Johnny Quitman Rasberry Jr.

Johnny Quitman Rasberry Jr.

That is te only way he can. If has not done it yet I would nor be concerned. Wait until there is a reason to be concerned before you worry.

I agree, he is a good father just doesn't make the best choices in the company he keeps. I don't want to keep the children from him but I want to protect them if that day ever comes. Thank you.

Until paternity is established, the mother in a paternity case has sole legal decision making authority, which includes the decision to relocate from the state. Also, you have a duty to protect your children. There is nothing preventing you from leaving. You should move to Arizona.