How can I protect my children during visitation with their father and his questionable ex

Asked 3 months ago - Oliver Springs, TN

my ex who has a history of alcohol abuse and also has a questionable mate with drug abuse and history of violence we live in we have never have been married and I have had the children sole in my care for 2 years. One or both may have an illness caused by drug use. Could I just leave the state if I felt I had to do that to protect them? Also their father took off to another state during this time and has had very little to do with them even when he was local

1. Johnny Quitman Rasberry Jr.

Pro

Answered . Is there court ordered parenting tome for him? If so, was it by consent or after a trial? I need more information to be of help.

2. Paul R. Bays

Pro

Answered . Until paternity is established, the mother in a paternity case has sole legal decision making authority, which includes the decision to relocate from the state. Also, you have a duty to protect your children. There is nothing preventing you from leaving. You should move to Arizona.