How can I properly write a termination to an Artist/Management Agreement?

Asked over 2 years ago - North Hollywood, CA

I signed this agreement earlier this year for my daughter, but it seems that there is some question about the reliability of the Manager. This Manager used to coach my daughter in a sporting environment, but we changed coaches and location. We have only received 2 audition notices since changing sporting venues 6 months ago. I feel that the Manager is neglecting us because of this change, so I would like to find another Manager.

1. Pamela Koslyn

9

Best Answer

Answered . The talent management itself shoud spell out how you can terminate it. Sometimes there are minimum time periods for the duration of the agreement and continuing obligations post-termination, sometimes it's just necessary to give the proper notice before the termination takes effect.

See a lawyer to have your particular agreement reviewed. and to discuss the details of your individual situation.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

9

1

Answered . California regulates the activities of "talent agents" and the contract terms that apply to contracts entered into with talent agents. Moreover, California law requires that a parent acquire a license before their minor child can lawfully perform work for a fee. See the links below and then visit with an entertainment attorney licensed to practice in California.

3. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

6

Answered . YOU SHOULD HIRE A LOCAL LAWYER EXPERIENCED WITH THESE ISSUES SO THEY ARE DONE RIGHT. IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA THERE IS THE LAWYERS FOR THE ARTS. I AM NOT SURE IF THERE IS SOMETHING SIMILAR IN YOUR AREA. GOOD LUCK.

4. David Alan Wolf

6

Answered . You should consult with an attorney before having any further discussions or correspondence with the agent. It is possible that better documentation can be obtained as to the agent's breach of contract.

5. Ivan Jose Parron

Pro

5

1

Answered . As both my colleagues have stated, the management agreement that your daughter signed would dictate the terms of if an and when you can terminate. There may be other factors such as breach or a minor party to a contract that would be factors. Consult with an entertainment attorney.

6. James David Pacitti

Pro

3

1

Answered . The agreement should provide the means by which it can be terminated. Often, these agreements provide termination cannot be done unilaterally for a certain period time or that a certain amount of notice is required before termination will take effect.
    If the contract does not provide clear guidance, then you should be able to terminate it through written notice. However, regardless of the contract terms, you may be able to reach an accommodation with the manager. If this relationship is not working, the manager may agree to mutual rescission and termination of the agreement as no one benefits under the circumstances you are describing and it may be in both parties interest to part ways.

7. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

Answered . If you have to ask, you can't. You have no business writing a contract termination letter if you are not a lawyer, an experienced talent agent, or both. Termination letters need to be done right to be effective and avoid complications, chief among which might be litigtation if the Agreement provides for a minimum term, mediation, arbitration, or some other ADR process. Also, as noted by CA attorneys in their responses, there are permits needed and whether they were obtained will have a bearing on legal exposure. You know you need a lawyer, that is why you are asking, right? If you want a recommendation, Attorney Koslyn is the one to call on this. This is right in her area ( a pun).