How can I place a judgment against someone who owes me money?

Houston, TX |

I leased an apartment on my name for a friend of mine and she made the monthly payments for the duration of the lease and went month to month for 4 months thereafter. After that she "supposedly" submitted notice to the leasing office that she was moving out and did not pay for the remaining 2 months. When I was finally contacted it was by a collections agency and I ended up having to pay $7,500 within just 3 days of the news. When I contacted her she said that she gave proper notice but just could not find the letter nor receipts for the last 2 months of rent. She then instantly transferred me $1400 to help with the first payment to the debt collection agency since then she will not answer my calls or texts. What can I do? I have stellar credit and would never do this to any one.

You can sue her in small claims court without an attorney.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

Thank you for your response but how do I go about doing that? Also the only evidence I have is that she paid me $1400.

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

You start by going to the small claims court clerk and filling out a form. There will be a fee. They will then set up the case and get papers served on the defendant. The court will then develop the case and hold a hearing. Your testimony is some evidence as well as what can be inferred from the circumstances. BTW, I am assume the defendant is still in your county. You have to file the suit where the defendant lives generally.

Yes she lives in the same county. Am I also able to do this online?

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

I doubt it, since you will be paying a fee. But you can always call the court and ask or see if they have a web site.

Thank you very much for your time and advice.