Skip to main content

How can I place a judgment against someone who owes me money?

Houston, TX |

I leased an apartment on my name for a friend of mine and she made the monthly payments for the duration of the lease and went month to month for 4 months thereafter. After that she "supposedly" submitted notice to the leasing office that she was moving out and did not pay for the remaining 2 months. When I was finally contacted it was by a collections agency and I ended up having to pay $7,500 within just 3 days of the news. When I contacted her she said that she gave proper notice but just could not find the letter nor receipts for the last 2 months of rent. She then instantly transferred me $1400 to help with the first payment to the debt collection agency since then she will not answer my calls or texts. What can I do? I have stellar credit and would never do this to any one.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You can sue her in small claims court without an attorney.

    This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.