How can I pay for Social Security lawyer when I don't have any money?

Asked over 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

I am told I should get a Social Security lawyer to help me with my disability claim. But how can I pay for the lawyer when I don't have any money?

.

1. Robert L Mauro

4

Answered . An attorney only receives compensation if you are successful with your claim. This compensation is set by the social Security Administration at either 25% or a maximum of $6,000, whichever is less. Contact an attorney who practices Social Security law.

2. Inga L Stevens

3

Answered . As stated, the attorney fee come from your back award if you are successful, and is limited to 25% of that back award with a current limit of $6000.

You can go to www.nosscr.org to find a list of local attorneys who specialize in Social Security Disability cases, or search here on Avvo.

3. Todd Adam Spivak

3

Answered . Fortunately, you do not need money to hire a Social Security lawyer. Most attorneys take Social Security Disability cases on a contingency basis. This means the attorney only receives a fee if you win benefits. Attorney fees are set by the federal government. Currently the approved fee is 25 percent of your back benefit or $6,000, whichever is less. You may also be charged for the cost of ordering your medical records or other associated costs.

4. Edwin Arnold Anderson

Pro

Answered . Everyone here is correct.