How can I pay for Social Security lawyer when I don't have any money?

Memphis, TN |
Filed under: Social security

I am told I should get a Social Security lawyer to help me with my disability claim. But how can I pay for the lawyer when I don't have any money?

An attorney only receives compensation if you are successful with your claim. This compensation is set by the social Security Administration at either 25% or a maximum of $6,000, whichever is less. Contact an attorney who practices Social Security law.

As stated, the attorney fee come from your back award if you are successful, and is limited to 25% of that back award with a current limit of $6000.

You can go to to find a list of local attorneys who specialize in Social Security Disability cases, or search here on Avvo.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

Fortunately, you do not need money to hire a Social Security lawyer. Most attorneys take Social Security Disability cases on a contingency basis. This means the attorney only receives a fee if you win benefits. Attorney fees are set by the federal government. Currently the approved fee is 25 percent of your back benefit or $6,000, whichever is less. You may also be charged for the cost of ordering your medical records or other associated costs.

Everyone here is correct.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security