How can I open an escrow account for my rent? I am having problems getting my landlord to fix things.

Harrisburg, PA |

I moved in to a house with promise that different things would be fixed. Ater having the gas turned on the gas company would not turn on the water heater. I had to use cold water for showering for a month and treaten not to pay the rent for my landlord to fix the problem. Then the furnace burned up because no one informed me that I had to check the water level. It took the landlord another month to get a furnace. So I had to stay in the cold until I could buy electric heater. Now one of the bedroom windows glass is falling out a part isbroken and cold air is coming and I cannot get my landlord to fix it. The landlord is out of state and sometime I cannot get her on the phone. I tried email to a relative but that don't help.

1. Most states have a process, usually the General District Court ( lowest court) has a step by step process, perhaps a small filing fee.

Check your county court web site or call a PA landlord tenant attorney -many offer free consultations for the first 20 or 30 minutes.

I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, answering your query and my answer do not create an attorney-client relationship and I am not providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. In Dauphin County, contact the Prothonotary's Office in the courthouse. They may be able to assist. If not, open a simple savings account at your bank. Put the escrow payments into a account without any other funds in it. Do not commingle these escrow monies with other accounts. If required later, you may have the bank certify the amount in the account and when the individual payments were deposited. This is to show you were being compliant with the PA Landlord Tenant Law.

Good luck!

There is no attorney client relationship created by this email. This response is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice upon which one should rely for the purposes of litigation, establishing a course of conduct, or representation.

3. I believe that one can only set up a rent escrow in Philadelphia County ( and possibly Allegheny County). It sounds like most of your issues are in the past and that the only current issue is one window. That's not going to be enough to get you any sympathy with a judge if the LL tries to evict. While you may have a valid claim for rent abatement in prior months, setting up an escrow today is not the solution. You need to either get your LL to find a local handyman to do work in the house, or work out a deal with you.

follow my answers on Twitter @landlawyer

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600

Landlord-tenant law topics