Skip to main content

How can I obtain my medical records?

Grandville, MI |

I have been denied long term care insurance because of information written on my medical records. What has been written on these records is not correct information.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Have you asked for the records from the doctor and been refused? If so, what was there reason? Except in some really unusual cases, these records should be made easily available to you. You have a right to inspect them and obtain copies (which they might charge you for) under both state and federal law.

  2. Under HIPAA, you have the right to access your medical records and either review them or copy them. Additionally, if you find errors in your record, you have the right to an amendment of your medical records - therefore you may request that any error you find be corrected in the record.

    Please know that the the physician (or other covered entity) who made the erroneous entry into your record is not required to correct the record. If that physician chooses not to correct the entry, they must provide you their reasoning for choosing not to correct the record. If you still feel that the information is wrong - you would likely need to consult a Michigan attorney with expertise in both Michigan state law and the federal health care laws to assist you.

    I hope that helps.

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.