How can I obtain green card as an international student with the F1 visa?

Winchester, VA |

I came to the US with my husband and my son two years ago. I have F1 and my faily members have F2 visa. I have been studying for two years. Our visas are valid for three more years. I would like to learn how to get green card. Is there any ways to obtain green card? Thanks.

1. You would have to have an employer sponsor you. The employment based categories are, however, backlogged.

2. You might find an employer who would like to sponsor you for an H-1B visa. The H-1B visa is a specialty occupation visa granted in 3 year increments. Meanwhile, that employer can petition for you, but you fill not file the green card application until a visa is available. The wait times vary depending on which employment-based preference category your petition falls in. You should speak with your DSO about your goals and an immigration attorney to try to chart your path now. Also, depending on what country you are from, you might also be eligible for the Diversity VIsa Lottery. Good luck.

Amy Long