How can I obtain green card as an international student with the F1 visa?

Asked over 3 years ago - Winchester, VA

I came to the US with my husband and my son two years ago. I have F1 and my faily members have F2 visa. I have been studying for two years. Our visas are valid for three more years. I would like to learn how to get green card. Is there any ways to obtain green card? Thanks.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Amy Long

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You might find an employer who would like to sponsor you for an H-1B visa. The H-1B visa is a specialty occupation visa granted in 3 year increments. Meanwhile, that employer can petition for you, but you fill not file the green card application until a visa is available. The wait times vary depending on which employment-based preference category your petition falls in. You should speak with your DSO about your goals and an immigration attorney to try to chart your path now. Also, depending on what country you are from, you might also be eligible for the Diversity VIsa Lottery. Good luck.

    Amy Long

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,668 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,668 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering