How can I obtain a Small Estate Affidavit for Pennsylvania?

Asked about 1 year ago - Reading, PA

My mother passed away recently and she had a small account (under $700). The institution holding the account is requesting a Small Estate Affidavit. I am just trying to settle the estate. I am the only heir and no beneficiary was named.

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

1

Answered . If the decedent died in Berks County, PA see the attached link. Just contact the local register of wills to see if your estate qualifies for small estate petition. Usually the register's office staff are very helpful.

2. Adam S. Bernick

2

1

Answered . Check with the Register of Wills or Clerk of Orphans Court in the County where your mother died domiciled. If it was less than $3,500 as you appear to indicate, there is a procedure where you can petition the court to settle a small estate. You can also have the funeral home present the receipt for the funeral to obtain the funds directly. Keep in mind that there will still be a need to file an inheritance tax return even if the funeral costs exceed the $700 as PA has no minimum amount at which tax is due.

3. Jay G. Fischer

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should attempt to proceed under Section 3101(b) of the Probate, Estates and Fiduciary Code. It permits a bank (and other specified financial institutions) to release up to $3,500 to the "spouse, any child..." of the deceased upon presentation of a receipted funeral bill or an affidavit by a licensed funeral director. It would be much easier than getting a small estate affidavit.

4. Cynthia A McNicholas

1

1

Answered . I'm very sorry for your loss.

I would ask the bank what they mean by a Small Estate Affidavit. It might simply be a bank form that they want you to sign affirming that the assets were less than a certain amount. However, be careful to file an Inheritance Tax return and pay the tax, and be sure to find out if there were any other debts or claims, including from DPW for Medicaid.