How can I negotiate a contract and severance package with an existing employer if I have none now.

Grand Rapids, MI |

Received a job offer and want to stay at current job. Would like to use the offer as leverage to negotiate working out of the home. Am worried that once I am home, employer might begin looking for a replacement for me. Is there a good way to negotiate a contract and severance package to protect myself from being replaced immediately?

If you want to stay at your current job, I would tread lightly. You are probably an at will employee, meaning you can be terminated for any reason so long as it is not one of a few illegal ones. Your current employer may take a "negotiating from strength" postion poorly and fire you. My answer would be that the best way to "negotiate" is politely and honestly. Good luck.

We can be reached at 616-235-4000. Our web address is: Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services, or the dissemination of legal advice. All statements are my opinions only. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied from the post but you may call my office if you would like to discuss retaining my firm to represent you. Thank you

Recommended articles about Employment