Skip to main content

How can I move out in the state of Texas

La Porte, TX |

I was wondering if it is possible to move out of your parents house at age 17 in the state of Texas without being emancipated and not having the police forcing you to come back home or being labeled as a runaway? and what is the penal code regarding to this situation? and would i be able to go live with a friend without them getting in trouble?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Why are you so anxious to get away? If you're being abused or harmed, call law enforcement or CPS and make a report. If you're just having trouble following rules, you're out of luck. If you can support yourself and have a valid reason to be "emancipated" then you may file a petition for emancipation and ask the court to remove your disabilities as a minor. Moving in with a friend will only expose the friend to legal problems. How much longer do you have until you turn 18? I suggest talking to an experienced family law attorney to figure out an answer.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.



well if you read it again I said without being emancipated.. and I didn't think I'd have to put my reasoning on a website. I just needed the information i asked for.

William Tyler Moore Jr

William Tyler Moore Jr


You can move. There may be repercussions. Your reasoning is immaterial. Don't impose on a friend.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer