HOW CAN I MARRY SOMEONE WHO IS CURRENTLY IN JAIL IN RUTHERFORD COUNTY DETENTION CENTER IN TENNESSEE?

Murfreesboro, TN |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

MY FIANCEE IS CURRENTLY BEING HELD IN THE RUTHERFORD COUNTY DETENTION CENTER IN MURFREESBORO, TENN. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN OKLAHOMA. I'M CURRENTLY OUT ON BOND FOR CHARGES IN TENNESSEE. WE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO WAIT TILL HE GETS RELEASED TO GET MARRIED. IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A COMMON LAW MARRIAGE?

1. You can still get married even though your fiance is in custody. Every county has its own set of procedures I'm sure, but you should get the contact information to his case manager and arrange it through that person. He or she can set a date and time for the ceremony, to be performed by the chaplain or perhaps a clergyman that you know personally. You should be able to bring your fiance a change of clothes for the ceremony. For specific questions relating to marriage you should contact a family lawyer. Good luck!

2. There is not common law marriage in TN. There are procedures to get married while in custody. Contact Rutherford county Sheriffs Office to get the proper information.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

Marriage and prenups topics