How can I make the website to remove my name, picture of me and completely untruly story about me, posted anonymously?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

I found my name, picture of me and completely untruthful story about me with insulting comments on shesahomewrecker.com, anonymously posted by someone. How can I make the administration of this website to remove all this?

If I pursue them what are the steps?
Here is online info about this business http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/internet-services/shesahomewreckercom-in-rosedale-md-90258510
On they website they say that all site content is total gossip and they are not responsible for it. But this info is easily searchable in google, yandex, yahoo and is extremely compromising and insulting.

1. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

2

Answered . Write a letter. If that fails, sue for libel in Supreme Court.

2. Victoria Moruzzi Brown

2

Answered . You have a case in libel, not against the host or website on which the defamation was posted (unless they knew it was untrue which is unlikely) but against the person who put the posting up.

The first thing you should do is contact the hosting website and tell them that the posting is untrue and defamatory and you want it taken down and request them to "preserve" all records in regard thereto as you may be litigating and this posting will be key evidence. Ask them also for information on the person who made the posting. They may only be able to give you a email or IP address but that is very helpful.

Whether the website host is helpful or not you need to find out the identity of the person who posted the material. Nothing on the internet is "anonymous" as a post is made from an IP address (each computer is assigned one to participate on the internet). Finding out the identity of a posting person is usually a layered process: a. request or subpoena info about the person from the website host and they often give email addresses and sometimes IP address b) if an email address is provided you subpoena the mail service provider eg. Yahoo for more information like IP address and c) with the information gathered (IP address) you then can subpoena the internet service provider like Verizon who knows a person by their IP address and has a name, phone number and address assigned to each IP address. A subpoena is not always enough for such info and some carriers require a court order to provide this information. The carriers always notify their customer that the information is being sought and the customer has an opportunity to bring a motion in court to "quash" the subpoena.

Either way, the courts must get involved for you to get to the bottom of this. You can petition the court for pre-filing discovery or simply file the summons and complaint against "John or Jane Doe" a person yet to be identified and then subpoena the companies as above-stated to find out who did this to you.

To find

3. Michael Lubing

1

Answered . Letters threatening libel lawsuits are rarely very effective on the internet, but it's worth a shot. As other have mentioned, you could bring a libel lawsuit in order to force them to bring the information down, but it may be expensive.

Depending on the information that appears, Google may be willing and able to remove the information for you without you filing a lawsuit. Go to https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1228... for an article with links about managing your online reputation.

Finally, if you can't get rid of the information, you may want to create blogs, facebook pages, etc. that appear when your name is searched. Knock the story off the first page of search results with information you want employers/others to see about you.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . Hire a personal injury attorney to find out if you have a proper defamation claim.

5. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

1

Answered . You can go through a very extensive song and dance involving multiple subpoenas and demands for information from the website host, the company that owns the site, the ISP, and more. Or you can hire a lawyer to do this for you and get it right.

6. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

Answered . I often say as cocktail chatter that there is no gravity on the Internet, what goes up does not come down.

That having been said, I have worked for dozens of clients to get information removed or search engine de-listed. I would say the success rate for these kinds of actions among Internet attorneys is around 70% and that the cost is from $1,000 to $1,500. It all depends on the circumstances.

The problem you face is that getting this information removed is going to be expensive. Maybe even more than I quoted above. It will depend on how hard the web site wants to fight the subpoena you will need to get issued. If you have to file a law suit to get a subpoena you could be looking at many thousands of dollars. How much do you want to spend to cure this problem? Are you better off just letting it go -- people tend to take these revenge site postings as rants and raves and won't necessarily believe them.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation