How can I make my parents U.S. resident? What are the forms required?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am currently 22 years old and was born in the U.S. My parents have not left the U.S. in over 15 years and I would like to make my parents U.S. residents since I was told children over 21 years old are eligible to start this process. My parents are also not married, so I know that the process will be conducted seperately. I would like to know what are the procedures needed to make my parents legally able to live here without leaving the country. Also, how long will this process take? Is a lawyer needed or can I complete the forms by myself? Thank you.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . I agree

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Pro

1

Answered . You will need to begin the process by filing an I-130 petition for each of them. They can file their application for adjustment of status concurrently with your I-130. You need to file other forms as well.
    It would be wise for you to hire an immigration lawyer because the whole process involves a lot more than just filling out the forms. It will take about 4-8 months.

3. Gregory Romanovsky

1

Answered . It is definitely better to have a professional assist you with your case, especially since your parents have been here without status for so many years and also because they are not married (which makes it more difficult to petition for your dad).

Gregory Romanovsky, Esq.
    www.romanovskylaw.com
    212.500.1114

4. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . You can find information online at www.uscis.gov. under Forms I-130 and I-485. You will have to file separate petitions for your parents. The process takes about 3 to 5 months. I recommend hiring a lawyer if you are not sure how to go about applying and requirements.

5. Veronica Tunitsky

1

Answered . While you can petition for your parents, the question is whether they're eligible to adjust status in the us. The answer depends largely, but not exclusively, on how they entered the us, eg legally or illegally.

You should consult with an attorney to make sure you do everything correctly.

6. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

Answered . You need to sponsor them for lawful permanent residence.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
    Morales PLLC
    info@moralespllc.com