How can I lower my Base Value property tax assessment?

Asked over 2 years ago - Murrieta, CA

I would like to have the Base assessment for my home reassessed at today's lower value. The home has a Base assessment value of $1,400,000. The Prop 8 value assessment is at $950,000. I think current market value is $800,000. I would like to trigger a reassessment of the property by Riverside County California Assessor in order to lower the Base Value. I plan to transfer the property out of my trust hoping this will trigger a reassesment. Any other suggestions?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Kevin Jacobson


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Riverside County is in the middle of a reassessment process. Check this web page for more information as to how it may apply to you: We wish you success. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal... more
  2. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The other half of an answer to this might be that you should have a thorough and complete appraisal. I know that these range on the high end at $10,000 and the low end of a couple of hundred dollars. is one of the high end providers who provide all 3 approaches to value.

    You might consult with local professionals who ask for re-assessments of value and find the level of diligence that your county demands.

    Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

    Curt Harrington
    (562) 594-9784

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more
  3. Michael John Harrington


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I agree with attorney Jacobsen, I'll add that the reassessment forms allow you to provide comparable sales information. You must file a timely request or loose your rights for that tax year.

    The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,113 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,113 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering