How can I lower child support or have arrears forgiven?

East Patchogue, NY |

I received divorce papers in april 2008 with child support retroactive to 2007. I have been out of work since september of 2007. My licence has been suspended, how can I have the arrears forgiven and support amount lowered. I am more than willing to pay any new support going forward based on whatever salary I have when I obtain new employment. Thanks in advance.

This is a very hard application to make and NYS courts are not too friendly to non payors even those who have lost their job. You would be smart to confer with a family lawyer to see what is possible. FYI my partner James DeFelice does family law in Long Island.
On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey (much of this is valid for NYS and unamrried parents)
Financial Dos and Don'ts after a Divorce (written by Attorney Gabriel Cheong)
US law on parental kidnapping: Please see 28 USC s. 1738……………………

FYI my law partner James DeFelice practices family law in your part of NYS. You can access his contact information on his avvo profile or on our firm’s website: www.sarnoanddefelice.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce