How can I legally sale homemade items with trademark logos on them?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oracle, AZ

I make homemade crocheted blankets and I want to put NFL team logos and names on them. I would like to display pictures of the finished blankets on sites like Face book in hopes of selling them to friends and family. I do not make more then a $30 profit from any one blanket and I will not be mass producing them. I am not a business, this is just a hobby I do from home in my spare time. How should I go about making this situation legal and not risking a lawsuit?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a license from NFL Properties, LLC. Visit the link below and read its licensee qualification requirements. Bottom line: Very few companies qualify -- and no home-based businesses qualify.

    The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . By obtaining a license from the owners of the trademark.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Brice Mclane Bratcher

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . To echo the other answers, the only way to legal sell the NFL team logos (which are almost certainly trademarked) would be to obtain a license to do so. Given the NFL's current licensing agreements with other apparel companies, such a license is not likely to be given. If you do so without the permission of the NFL you would be committing trademark infringement, and would face civil penalties.

    This answer and advice is general in nature and not intended as specific legal advice on the issue in question,... more
  4. Bruce E. Burdick


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Well, you don't get to legally do what you want. That would be trademark infringement under 15 USC 1114 and false designation of origin under 15 USC 1125. This question is asked so frequently there is a legal guide, that I wrote, on it See

    I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,488 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,488 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering