How can I legally sale homemade items with trademark logos on them?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oracle, AZ

I make homemade crocheted blankets and I want to put NFL team logos and names on them. I would like to display pictures of the finished blankets on sites like Face book in hopes of selling them to friends and family. I do not make more then a $30 profit from any one blanket and I will not be mass producing them. I am not a business, this is just a hobby I do from home in my spare time. How should I go about making this situation legal and not risking a lawsuit?

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

4

Answered . You need a license from NFL Properties, LLC. Visit the link below and read its licensee qualification requirements. Bottom line: Very few companies qualify -- and no home-based businesses qualify.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . By obtaining a license from the owners of the trademark.

3. Brice Mclane Bratcher

Answered . To echo the other answers, the only way to legal sell the NFL team logos (which are almost certainly trademarked) would be to obtain a license to do so. Given the NFL's current licensing agreements with other apparel companies, such a license is not likely to be given. If you do so without the permission of the NFL you would be committing trademark infringement, and would face civil penalties.

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

Answered . Well, you don't get to legally do what you want. That would be trademark infringement under 15 USC 1114 and false designation of origin under 15 USC 1125. This question is asked so frequently there is a legal guide, that I wrote, on it See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/can-i-use-...