How can I legally sale homemade items with trademark logos on them?

Oracle, AZ |

I make homemade crocheted blankets and I want to put NFL team logos and names on them. I would like to display pictures of the finished blankets on sites like Face book in hopes of selling them to friends and family. I do not make more then a $30 profit from any one blanket and I will not be mass producing them. I am not a business, this is just a hobby I do from home in my spare time. How should I go about making this situation legal and not risking a lawsuit?

1. You need a license from NFL Properties, LLC. Visit the link below and read its licensee qualification requirements. Bottom line: Very few companies qualify -- and no home-based businesses qualify.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

2. By obtaining a license from the owners of the trademark.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. To echo the other answers, the only way to legal sell the NFL team logos (which are almost certainly trademarked) would be to obtain a license to do so. Given the NFL's current licensing agreements with other apparel companies, such a license is not likely to be given. If you do so without the permission of the NFL you would be committing trademark infringement, and would face civil penalties.

This answer and advice is general in nature and not intended as specific legal advice on the issue in question, nor does it create an attorney/client relationship or give rise to any privilege, including attorney/client privilege.

4. Well, you don't get to legally do what you want. That would be trademark infringement under 15 USC 1114 and false designation of origin under 15 USC 1125. This question is asked so frequently there is a legal guide, that I wrote, on it See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/can-i-use-nfl-logos-without-permission

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.