Skip to main content

How can I legally remove my boyfriend from my house?

Tacoma, WA |

I purchased this home seven years ago. We were together as an unmarried couple at the time. In the last few years he has become more violent and I have asked him to leave many times. He says he won't leave because it's his house. I need help to legally removed him from my home.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have a reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm, you can get a Protective Order from the court. It's quite easy. Otherwise, you may have to go through eviction proceedings. An attorney would be helpful in assisting you with that.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]


If you are living in the same house as a person who is violent to you, on Monday, go to the Crystal Judson Family Support Center and ask for help. You don't need to go through the eviction process, and you should not, because this is not a tenancy where you are a landlord and he is a tenant, you are in a domestic relationship of some sort and he's not getting the hint that it is over.

It isn't his house, it is yours. He may claim that you owe him something, but that is a matter for a family law attorney to sort out AFTER you feel safer and not intimidated. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.


You should get a protective order, then if necessary proceed with an eviction.

Elizabeth's answer regarding making sure you are safe first, is very good advice.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer