HOW CAN I LEGALLY MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE WHILE ON FEDERAL PROBATION IF MY PROBATION OFFICER WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO MOVE ?

Asked about 2 years ago - West Chester, PA

i'm on federal probation in Pennsylvania. I'm medically unable to work. I live with my parents.My parents are moving to florida and have the home already. I asked my probation officer to move, but he said no. when my parents move to florida, this will leave me in pennsylvania homeless as i have no family or friends in pennsylvania.

1. Carina Laguzzi

4

Answered . The Judge has the final say as to permission to move. Have your attorney contact the Court for a hearing as soon as possible. If you do not have an attorney contact one with experience in federal court.

2. Robert C. Keller

2

Answered . It is up to the Court to determine if the move will be allowed. It is suggested that you call the attorney who previously represented you or call me for a free consult. I am a former prosecutor and would be happy to assist you. Our office number is 610-449-1400. Rob Keller.

3. Charles Anthony Rick

1

Answered . I agree with both of my colleagues that the judge has the final say on whether you can move or not. You should contact a criminal defense attorney (or the attorney that you have used in the past for criminal matters). They should be able to help you get a hearing scheduled.

4. William Charles Sipio

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You will have to petition the applicable court. I reccomend consulting an experienced federal criminal attorney or contacting the Federal Defenders if you are without means to hire private counsel.

5. Andrew Joseph Edelberg

Answered . Hire a criminal lawyer familiar with local and federal law. File a petition to transfer or terminate your probation. You will have an,evidentiary hearing before a federal judge most likely unless the county has retained jirosdictionm
    Having a good relationship and probation record with a good time on probation and your probation officer is iportant. If you haven't used drugs. No other prs. Are substantially in compliance. All good things. But nothing iscguarsnteed.

6. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Answered . You can try to get the judge to overrule the PO on this seemingly arbitrary decision. A lawyer can help with that and would make success more likely.

Probation means you have already been convicted of a crime. A judge decided that you did not need to be imprisoned to protect society, but you are subject to being searched or locked up at any time if someone thinks that decision might have been wrong. You have one foot in the jail cell already!

When talking to clients considering probation, I often compare it to being like moving back home with a step-parent who doesn’t like you. That step-parent gets to set your hours, tell you who your friends are, tell you where you can and cannot live, and talk to your boss at work. If he/she thinks you are breaking a rule, you can be put into jail until a decision is made. It is a significant change in your liberty.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.