How can I legally kick someone out of my house?

New York, NY |

I let a couple and their 2 kids stay at my home for a few weeks because they didn't have a place to go and since my daughter is in college her room was available, however, I told them that when she came home they would have to leave, she is coming home today and they won't leave, instead they set themselves up in my living room and refuse to go. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to legally get them out of my house.

You must serve them with a Notice to Quit and then sue them by Petition for eviction. Its probably best to hire an attorney to do it for you because it can get quite complex at times.

It reminds me of the old adage, "No good deed goes unpunished". They're behavior is dispicable and should constitute theft of services in my view, but the law may see it differently.

Landlord-tenant topics